Online Contributions Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How does on-line giving work?
We are taking advantage of PayPal’s familiar, easy to operate and secure interface. Upon selecting the “Donate” button you will see the following page:
It may not look like much, but there is a lot of important information here. (You may see minor variations, depending upon the PC or Mobile Device, Operation System and Browser you are using.) Let’s step through the main items, beginning with the top:
1. The address line should contain information similar to this:
In this line PayPal is identified as the company with which we are working. Especially important is the section that says https://, a standard web prefix indicating that you are on a secure site.
2. A little bit further down is a section indicating that this page is used to donate to SHUMC.
And the target of the donation is to the General Funds account.
3. The next section is where you can enter your donation amount.
4. The donation amount section is followed by an option to tell PayPal you want to make this transaction a monthly, repeating, occurrence.
5. And finally, you can select whether the transaction is to accomplished through your PayPal account or whether you would rather use a Debit or Credit Card.
- Selecting “Donate with PayPal” will send you to the PayPal login screen where you will be guided through the rest of the transaction.
- Selecting “Donate with a Debit or Credit Card” will send you to a screen in which you will be asked to enter the appropriate account information.
6. Additional selections are available at the bottom of the screen in which you can access PayPal’s “Help & Contact” information as well as going to PayPal’s “Security” screen in which you can review their security information.
Why is SHUMC allowing web-based donations?
Everyone forgets to bring our checkbook at times. Or, maybe you planned on making a cash contribution but when you checked your wallet – empty. What to do? Relax, enjoy your church experience, and when you return home make use of Shawnee Heights UMC’s web payment page (http://www.shawneeheightsumc.org/contribute) on either your personal computer or your mobile device.
Also, we recognize that many people – especially those in the age group commonly labeled “The Millennials” -- now expect an organization or business to perform P To P (Peer-to-Peer) financial transactions. It’s part of today’s life and we at SHUMC want to be part of your life.
Is on-line giving secure?
PayPal is safe when you use it to send money. Of course, nothing is completely risk-free but PayPal is a reputable company with enough security, consumer protection in place and experience to keep you and your transactions safe. When selecting the PayPal button, you will be temporarily transferred to PayPal’s secure and encrypted website.
Using PayPal is safer than giving your credit card number or bank account information directly to a website because your PayPal account hides your account information. PayPal performs the financial transaction without passing your secure information.